Safety and Security at St Kilda Primary School
I am aware that social media is filled with alerts regarding a sex offender who allegedly is roaming between St Kilda to Frankston causing problems.
Of course this is very concerning and it is natural to be alarmed. I have made contact with the Regional Office in Dandenong and a number of local schools to check if there has been anyone suspiciously lurking in the local area.
Whilst everyone knew about the offender due to social media reports circulating extensively, not one of the local schools nor the Regional Office has had a sighting or encountered a problem of any sort today.
However at St Kilda we are alwasy vigilant in regard to our duty of care and always take the following actions:
– all staff conduct sessions with children on stranger danger (parents are encouraged to do likewise)
– all children are encouraged to walk, ride or scoot with others to and from school
– children are not permitted to walk to the toilets on their own during school time, they must be accompanied by at least one other child
– we have 4 staff on yard duty at recess and lunchtimes. In additon, Education Support staff support some indivdual students with additional needs. We have a staff member on duty from 8.45-9.00am and again after school from 3.30-3.45pm. Children are welcome to play outside these hours as long as they are with a parent/carer
– all visitors must report and sign in and out at the school office – this includes existing parents and grandparents
I encourage all parents to have a conversation with their children about the importance staying and feeling safe when walking to and from school.
Please contact me if you have any comments, suggestions or concerns.